Monday, June 23, 2014

Prototyping Week 1

So last week we were working in a team to prototype a quick game,  we ended up working on an infinite runner type game where you play a werewolf that having escaped from a mad scientist (that made you into the lycanthrope) needs to get home before the moon makes him change completely.

My responsibility in the assignment was to create the base environment, a basic road, street, and a window and door that could be used across the scene.



Original idea was set in sydney, and we decided for this prototype to set in an alley way so I started with collecting reference images of sydney alley ways and as we were going for a cartoony style a number of Cartoon streets, and alleys.  I then concepted out a few designs:



I then went to work modelling each of the assets:



This is what I had at the end of the first day, with some exploritory textures for the road.

As I got to the end of the day I thought that an even more modular approach may be better considering the short time frame, and thought a tiling texture which could be applied to rectanglar pieces that could be snapped together.  With that in mind I worked on the textures overnight:
Glass:
 Alley Road
 Street
 Wall Brick
 Wood

And on the following day finished work unwrapping and finalising the textures, as well as creating normal maps for each ending up with these for the door and window design:

I also put together a test environment so that we could see what it looked like in game:


That night I diversified the colour textures so that there was some variation in the level, and then as we had decided to make the prototype a finite runner I extended the road and redid the buildings:







The last day was spent with some final tweaking and then getting the final level into unity and to the rest of the group.  The build was finalised this morning and presented to the class, I will attempt to get a web build of it up shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment