Sunday, November 23, 2014

Major Assignment Review - Sonshine

For the Major Production assignment component of my Advance Diploma in Professional Game Design (Art) at the Academy of Interactive Entertainment I participated in the Sonshine game project.  The team I worked with was:

Natasha Cooper - Project Lead/Programmer
Jacob Connelly - Lead Programmer
Anton Kurtz - Programmer
Chris Beacock - Lead Artist
Bradley Craven - Character Artist & Animator
Eddy Gotts - Environmental Artist
Daniel Plaister - 3d Modeler
Harley Gilbery -  3d Modeler

Sonshine itself is a world exploration game in the oculus rift about the strength of the relationship between a mother and a son.  In the game the son is the sole source of light for the world and he lights up when his hand is held.  To maintain his brightness however you need to find light fruit scattered around the world which recharges his batteries for a while, and allows you to navigate round the level.

In collaboration with Jacob Connelly, I constructed the first level as pictured above.

Asset Breakdown:

Here is a breakdown of the assets I created for the project:

The Light Tree and Fruit

Unity Terrain Paint-able Textures:
I completed Textures for Dirt, Stone, Spring Grass, Grass, Rocky Ground, and 2 different Cliffs.  The ones pictured below are the most used in the game.
I also did basic textures for Summer, Autumn, Winter, Snow, Rocky Snow, Ice, Cobblestone Path, and Sand but due to time requirements they were not used in the game and so were not polished.

Trees:
For the game I created Trees for Birch, Bird Cherry, Common Hazel, Oak, Aspen, Rowen, Red Alder, Pine and Spruce

Bushes:
I completed 5 Bushes for this game

Grasses:
For sonshine I created a number of grass sprites for use in terrain painting, these were: Enchinochloa Cruss Galli, Fountain Grass, Oat Grass, Purple Millet, Cord Grass, Hair Grass, and Reed Grass

Flowers:
I created both Garden and Wild Flowers for this project: Tulip, Rose, Gerbera, Gardenia, Daffodil, Alpine Catchfly, Alpine Gentian,
Bee Orchid, Bird's Eye Primrose, Chamomile, Lavender, and Heather


Rocks:
I created seven individual rocks, and two sets of rock stairs


Garden Bed


Castle Ruins:
I created a number of castle ruin models for the game, unfortunately due to time restrictions these did not end up implemented in the game, so the textures were not completed.


No comments:

Post a Comment