Sunday, February 2, 2014

Catch Up and Back to School Tomorrow! (Long Post)

Been a while since posting, for some reason when I have to scan something in, I put it off, so posting should become more regular once I get back to working digitally, which as I start back at AIE tomorrow will probably be quite soon.  Ideally I'd like to be posting progress daily and we will see how that goes.

So after completing the 100 still lifes, I watched through the CTRL Paint video library through the complete unplugged section, and few of the videos relate to film studies where you work of a still image from a movie, whether off a screen shot, or by pausing, so I have been doing a little of this:

From Spiderman:

More of these to follow (from Dr Who primarily).

Now over the past few months my partner Selina has gotten into Sugar Skulls, and as I wanted to practice skulls and thought these stylised versions would be fun, I tried it out:


And a large version for Selina to colour:

I experimented with constructed forms:

And did quick sketches while watching old episodes of Dr Who (Series 12,13, Fourth Doctor Tom Baker, and Series 19,20 Fifth Doctor Peter Davidson)



I'd recommend the stories: Genesis of the Daleks, The Brain of Morbius, The Seeds of Doom (currently watching), Earthshock, Snakedance (with a very young Martin Clunes), and Terminus (what I'm currently watching)

I then did some sketching of the planes of the face:


And back to Doctor Who:



and practiced basic headshapes and 3D form:




And back to Doctor Who:


That's the last bit of Doctor who for this post ;)

I then thought that I should of been taking notes from the CTRL Paint videos and so decided to start again from the start and really make sure I start to integrate these core foundations.  I will skip posting the homework from the first intro to photoshop videos (Basic navigation drill, Brush drills, Swatches, and Colour temp Worksheet) and will just post from the traditional drawing section (That I'm still working through).

The video Pencils and Erasers introduced the concept of underdrawing, and the homework was to draw 20 phones:



The last one was definately fun to draw :)

The next one "The Pencil" was about using the elbow and shoulder rather than the fingers and wrist to draw, and the homework was drawing 5 pages of ovals, which I see no reason to post.

After that was visual measuring and more phones (another 20) and in case your thinking "this is worse than the above" it was more about doing measuring the angles than adding detail.


And then back to where I started on these ctrl paint series, drawing spoons

Contour line drawing:



Linear Block in:



Negative Space:



Constructive Form:



and that brings us to where I am currently Simple Still Life:




And so tomorrow I start the second and final year of my course, I'm really interested and excited to find out what we'll be working on first, and will probably post during the day some time tomorrow, and then I'll be continuing on the Drawing 2 Section of CTRL Paint :)

No comments:

Post a Comment